16 September 2006

experience true HK (1)

Hong Kong is not a place that you should venture to just to see her main attractions like Victoria Peak, or stroll through and shop in her extravagant, "no exepense was spared" malls, or dine at one of her main fine restaurants. This is not the Hong Kong you must seek. Sure, you will do all of these things as I have along with countless other tourists. That these things are also part of Hong Kong is true.

But to truly know Hong Kong, is to experience it's subtleties. By this, I mean exploring the city on foot, sometimes walking down a side street that might look slightly uninviting, or browsing through the street markets that seem to snake on and on down the streets. Stop at a fressh fruit juice stand and purchase a refreshing cup of mango juice (my personal favorite!). I promise you won't regret it. And you have not experienced life's goodness until you have walked into one of the small bakeries that are here and there along the streets - mmmmhhhhmmmm....and cheap, too! You don't know what you're missing until you've had some of the fresh bread - of all varieties - or a pastry.

And when an Indian along the street in Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) asks you if you want to buy a Rolex or "copy watch", take him up on his offer (make sure to use the "buddy system" just as a precaution, though). The copies are good quality and look very accurate. It is such an experience. After I bought my watch, I felt as though I had experienced something truly Hong Kong. It is quite an adrenaline rush, too!

The memory that I am fondest of so far on this trip is when I ate in an international cafe called the Shadowman Cyber Cafe (website). This international eatery served amazing food in a very clean shop at great prices. I felt as though I was a character in a novel. The ambience of the place was incredible. I felt totally immersed in Hong Kong. It's definitely someplace I will take my family when they come in November.

(to be continued...)

1 Comments:

At 17 September, 2006 21:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jon!!! glad u enjoyed ur weekend.... u would haf enjoyed xian with us though

 

Post a Comment

<< Home