02 September 2006

Hong Kong Island: The City of the World....

I am taken aback. Words like "wow", "amazing", "unbelievable", etc, are all I can muster. We are in the heart of Hong Kong Island and I honestly did not know that it was possible to be in love with a city this much!

We are on a day long bus tour of the main island and have just left our first stop, which consisted of wandering around a large market by the ocean, relaxing on the beach, and eating lunch. The restaurant we ate lunch at did not have a single Asian selection on the menu and was blasting AC/DC and The Rolling Stones for the extent of our stay! Other than that, I'm still in Hong Kong, right? At times, I cannot get my head around how Americanized it is.

Our next stop was outside a massive convention center by the water in the heart of the city.
We were only there for a short time before we got back in the coach and took off for Victoria Peak, one of the highest points in the city rising right above the city, with panoramic views of the Kowloon Peninsula and Victoria Harbour. The views were breathtaking... the city is so beautiful and alive and gigantic. From the observatory area at the top, I could see everything.


I'll let these pictures speak in place of my words on the page...


yeah, this is where I'll be living for the next 4 months, baby


Blair, and Bonnie, my co-RA.


Hong Kong night scene; photograph by Mike Simon
...and some great green foliage...



I just couldn't resist,....Run, Forest, run!


Nightscape; by me


....expect more to come, both words and photos.

2 Comments:

At 03 September, 2006 06:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Jon
Man, it looks like you are having a good time. Are you able to speak any mandrian to the native people?

 
At 04 September, 2006 21:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

Oh my gosh! I cannot wait to come over there. It will be amazing! I love reading about what you're doing....Keep us posted!

Love ya,
Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home