29 August 2006

Day One


After eating breakfast in the cafeteria of Hong Kong Baptist University ( the university we will be studying at), our visiting professor, Dr Kevin Iga, took us to see his apartment and then the International Office. From there, it was off to Mong Kok to get a cell phone and begin exploring our new home.

I have never seen so many cell phones in one place in my life, nor could I have imagined that there would be this many to choose from. This made picking out a single cell phone quite difficult. I eventually settled on a white Panasonic A210, a phone that is quite small. I got quite a deal too, paying HKD $500, roughly USD $65. It was also necessary that I get a SIM card so I can make calls primarily within Hong Kong. That cost me HKD $68 (USD $8.70) for the SIM card and 45o minutes.

Lunch was after that at a fine Taiwanese restaurant. My meal (shredded chicked over white rice and white sauce) with a glass of Strawberry Green Tea (delicious) was HKD $27 or USD $3.50! Incredible.

I wish I could write more at the moment about the rest of the day, but right now I can barely hold my head up....the jet lag is not yet finished. Orientation for international students begins tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home