08 October 2006

The Mekong River and More Experiences in Saigon

Saturday we arose bright and early just before 7 and had a quick breakfast before boarding our bus to go to the Mekong River Delta. We arrived around 10 and clibed onto our river cruising boat on which we enjoyed a relaxing ride on the 12th largest river in the world.

Along the way we passed some floating markets and small villages and many other boats of all sizes. It was raining lightly, creating somewhat of a dreary feeling but we still had a good ride. We stopped for lunch at a private establishment that our Viet, our tour guide, had arranged for us.

Our meal consisted of prawn, some type of fish, rice paper wraps, and various vegetables. It was good, especially the fish tail, which tasted like an extra-crunchy tortilla chip. Fruit was served for dessert. But it was after lunch that the real treat came: the chance to wrap a 9', 70-pound python around our shoulders. We had been told about this awesome opportunity on Thursday or Friday and I was eagerly anticipating it, much to the chagrin of part of the group (I'm pretty sure the detractors had names normally reserved for females but I'm not insinuating that the girls had an irrational fear of the domesticated snake - no way).

Anyway, I was the first to hold it and it was awesome. I've never actually gotten to hold a snake that big, and it was a pretty cool feeling I'll tell you. We took turns holding it and flexing with it of course while the others took pictures. All but one person, whose name I will not disclose, actually held it. That was one of the main highlights of the trip, for me anyway.

We got back on the boat and finished our cruise by docking on the other side of the river and going to check in at our new hotel that we would be staying at in Mekong City. It was a pretty posh joint and had a Mike and I had great view of the river from our balcony. After dinner that night we walked around the city and then got massages by the hotel for about $4 US! There was even a steam room and sauna that made Vietnam's heat and humidity feel like Siberia. I like the pricing system over here immensely.

The next day we cruised the other brach of the River and then took the bus home (home as in our hotel in Saigon). Upon our arrival, we unloaded and then took off to walk the city again. We shopped, and I spent about 1/30th the amount I would have to spend in the US, buying workout shirts, hats, and shorts, a wallet, DVDs, some man-prees (a European thing - basically, capri's for guys that are really comfortable and convenient), etc. There's good shopping in 'Nam.

After dinner that night we went to a cafe in the heart of the city to relax....I enjoyed a smoothie but then left before the group to venture the city streets solo. This was one of those times that I felt an urge to be alone and experience the city as I only could without any familiarity around me. I was able to absorb the sights, sounds, and smells of this interesting place introspectively. I walked through some shops and made several purchases before returning to my room refreshed. I drifted off to sleep contemplating my quiver of new experiences, on this last night in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Vietnam. Life is good and I feel blessed to have been able to experience more of God's world...

(I will add pictures later but at the moment that feature's not working)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home